Friday, September 7, 2007

And off she goes...



My little baby girl is off to first grade! I keep having these flashbacks of her when she was just a tiny little baby and then look at her now and can't believe the wonderful little girl that she has become. Last year sending her off to Kindergarten was hard for me but this year seems even a little harder, she's gone ALL DAY! I think what's getting me is that this is the beginning of the end. I guess that sounds negative and I don't mean it to but from here on out she's going to be spending more time at school than she is with me. I also feel like each year I have to loosen those kite strings a little more and give her a little more independence. I can't choose her friends anymore...a little scary. I just hope that we've instilled values in her and given her what she needs to make good choices for herself.

So anyway, back to school.... Ellie is in Miss King's class and she was very excited when she found this out. Miss King is about Lindsey's age (26 or 27 I think) and she's very cute and as sweet as can be. Last year when Ellie and I were looking at the three first grade teachers pictures on the bulletin board she pointed to Miss King and said "I want her." When I asked her why she replied "because she's pretty." Oh, little girls... She has a couple friends in her class and she's already made several new ones too. She's been just a little excited each morning, the second day of school she was up, dressed and sitting with her backpack, waiting to go to the bus (which comes at 8:12) at 6:45! She had a long morning waiting on that couch.

Next week will be another week of "change." Luke starts Small Friends on Thursday which I think he's pretty excited and ready for. Then Drew and I will have a little "alone time" - I honestly don't think that the poor child even knows what that is, I'm looking forward to it. He seems a little lost without Ellie around and Luke is definitely lonely (he asks at least once an hour when it will be time to go get Ellie at the bus). It's been an exciting but long and tiring week. I'm glad that the weekend is here...

No comments: