Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Light at the end of the tunnel

I don't even know where to start...I guess it all began last Tuesday afternoon. Rob was due to come home that evening, things had gone pretty well with him gone but I was looking forward to his return. Just as we were heading up for bed, Luke puked all over (luckily I got him to the toilet for most of it). Oh boy...I knew I was in for it. I put him to bed but he was up about every hour vomiting. I got a great workout racing up the stairs in record time that evening. I decided to go to bed because I knew I had a long night ahead of me. I left Rob a note saying "Welcome back. Glad you are home. Luke is puking." It was a long night!

So Wednesday morning I got home from my morning run, went in to get Drew and found him covered in throw up. He must have gotten sick in the night but either not woken up or not realized that puking in the middle of the night in his crib was abnormal, and gone back to sleep. I felt terrible. How awful to sleep in - the smell in his room just about put me over the edge. So Wednesday I had two sick kiddos. Luke was sacked out on the couch for most of the day, he'd raise his head every now and then to take a forced sip of Gatorade. Thursday was more of the same thing, Luke hadn't thrown up since Wed. morning but was still very sick, too sick to even think about food. Drew was better.

Friday morning rolled around and Rob was the next victim. Luke was still sick. He had not eaten since Tuesday afternoon but didn't feel like it. He was looking so skinny. Rob didn't have the flu that the kids had but had a fever, chills, a cough, and everything else... I felt fine but was going out of my mind, I hadn't been out of the house since Tuesday. Friday afternoon Ellie had a birthday party at Red Tail so Drew and I dropped her off and headed to the mall to kill 2 hours. We picked her up at 6:00 and headed to Terra Linda for their Sock Hop. Ellie looked adorable in her Poodle Skirt and pigtails but that's another story...

Saturday morning I was signed up to volunteer for the Junior League. I got up that morning and didn't feel all that great but not bad enough to stay home (at that point I would have had to be vomiting to stay home, I needed to get out). I felt nauseas all morning and then by the afternoon I had the chills, etc. Luckily Rob was feeling a little better so I laid on the couch and was asleep by 8:00.

Sunday I woke up feeling a little better. Rob woke up feeling worse. Drew woke up with pink eye AND vomiting AGAIN! Seriously, could this get any worse? I left Rob for a couple hours to go to Megan's baby shower, came home to get Ellie and Luke and we went out to Rock Creek Tavern to celebrate my Mom's birthday. Rob stayed home with Drew. We got home and Ellie complained of a stomach ache. I didn't want to believe that she was coming down with the flu, I kept telling myself that she had eaten too much. Not so, just as I was getting ready for bed, I hear her throwing up...all over the carpet! And so it started again.

By Tuesday afternoon, a whole week after it started, we were finally on the mend and I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. What a week it had been. I'm hoping that with all this sickness, we have paid our dues for the year. I'm crossing my fingers that we will be healthy until next Winter. Is that too much to ask?

No comments: