What exactly does "Going Green" mean? These days, a lot of things. It seems there is so much emphasis on changing things in our day to day lives to benefit the world and rightfully so. As there has been more and more talk about being "environmentally friendly" I have changed the way I do many day to day things. I use reusable shopping bags, we have changed out most of our light bulbs, I buy organic foods, I use reusable containers to pack Ellie's lunch (it was making me sick to throw away 3-4 ziplock baggies each day), I recycle EVERYTHING. And, finally, we bought a composter...
I know, it sounds like to totally "hippie" thing to do but I started hearing about compost piles, did a little research and really thought that it made sense. We throw away so much food waste and have so much yard debris (which is recycled), why not put it to good use and at the same time, cut back on all this garbage that is going to our landfills. Rob is such a "yard guy" that he thought the idea of making our own dirt was great.
I took Luke and Drew with me to pick up this monsterous compost bin and immediately Luke started asking all sorts of questions. I explained what we were doing with it and the minute we got home he began finding things around the house asking if they could go in the composter. I explained a little better so now he just asks if his leftover lunch can go in. We have a compost pail on our kitchen counter (I know, sort of gross) and the kids get so excited to go dump it out. The other day they went to dump it and came back all worried. They told me there were bugs all over it...I reminded them that was the idea!
I really think I've turned over a new leaf, if you would have asked me several years ago if I would consider using a composter I would have laughed. The thought of recycling my leftover foods would have totally grossed me out. Now though, I really think that we need to be conscious about the environment and this is just one little way that we can help. Plus, it's kind of fun. I'll keep you posted on how the dirt making goes.
2 comments:
Can you put the kids in the composter? If so, great idea!
Ha ha ha I agree! No really we have had one for a couple of years and it is awesome! Be careful though some foods draw pesky critters!!!
Post a Comment