Wednesday, June 4, 2008

What a weekend

Our weekend started out great...my mom took Ellie and me to see High School Musical at the Keller Auditorium. We went out to Mother's before the show and had a delicious dinner, enjoyed a very cute show and then as we were walking back to the car we caught the fireworks show that they had down at the waterfront to kick off the Rose Festival. The whole night I kept thinking how grown up Ellie is getting...almost 7 years old! Wow, can't believe it.

Saturday we had our neighborhood garage sale which is always interesting. We got rid of a lot of junk and made a little money too. Then we were off to my cousin's Grad party. The kids ate so much junk so when we got home nobody was really hungry for dinner. Luke said, "I'm not really hungry because I ate so much at Mary's." I asked what he ate and he said "those chocolate things, those red things (hot tamales), m&m's with nuts, and chocolate cake." Yikes!

Then the big excitement all started Sunday morning. Luke woke up with the flu. If his cousin Max hadn't had the flu on Friday I would have just thought he was sick from eating so much the night before. Then while I was gone, Drew fell asleep on Rob's lap around 11:30, a little unusual. Luke fell asleep on the couch, Rob and Ellie went to take a load of unwanted garage sale items to Goodwill and I was getting ready for a friend's baby shower.

Drew woke up from his nap around 1:30 and felt a little warm but no biggie. He was really clingy and didn't want me to put him down at all, a little difficult because, as I mentioned, I was trying to get ready to leave. I was carrying him down the stairs when I suddenly felt him go totally limp, I looked at him and his head had fallen back, his lips were blue and his eyes were rolling back in his head. I totally freaked out! I ran into the kitchen put him on the floor and tried to get him to "wake up." He was completely non-responsive. I dialed 911, grabbed him and ran next door to my neighbors (she's a nurse). I was banging on their door and when they finally answered I was hysterical. Cathy was great and knew exactly what to do while I was on the phone getting instructions from the 911 dispatcher. The ambulance couldn't get there fast enough. He finally "came to," started breathing again (after Cathy gave him mouth-to-mouth) but was still out of it. Rob and Ellie pulled up and the ambulance arrived right behind them. The paramedics asked a lot of questions and finally decided that from the information that I had given him, Drew had had a Febrile Seizure.

Drew and I got to ride in the ambulance to Emmanuel Hospital (same place we had been only weeks before with Ellie). When we got to the ER his fever was 104.3. They also concluded that he had had a seizure and found that he had two ear infections (the cause of the fever). We had to stay in the ER until his fever went down. It was really difficult keeping him still for that long...4 popsicles, a couple packages of saltines and a cup of Jell-O helped.

I was quite shaken up all evening and didn't sleep a wink that night. I went in to check on Drew at least every half hour. I was so worried that he would seize again in his sleep (I was assured that even if that happen, he would come out of it on his own). There were a few minutes when Drew was lying on the doormat that I thought we were going to loose him, I don't ever think that I will forget that feeling...ever. It was so scary and I just can't imagine our lives without him. When I see that cute smile and bright eyes looking at me it just melts my heart. Even just that little event has made me rethink so many things in my life. Is it really worth it to get stressed out because my kitchen isn't clean or because I've had a load of laundry in the dryer waiting to be folded for a few days? Every moment I spend with my kids is so precious but it's so easy to over look that and get caught up in the hustle of life. I thank God everyday for what He has given me. I'm very lucky!

No comments: