Sunday, June 15, 2008

And he's off

I know it's a scary thought but Luke is now riding a two-wheeler. When he got his new bike for his birthday he requested that we take off the training wheels. Both Rob and I told him that if we did that he wouldn't be able to ride it. He insisted that he would be able to and since then he's been asking to ride Ellie's bike (without training wheels). So for about six weeks now, when we have a nice, non-rainy day (not many), Luke and I have been out practicing on Ellie's purple Princess bike. I hold on to the seat, he pedals, I let go, he rides and I grab him before he falls. This went on for several weeks. About two weeks ago he finally "got" it and just took off riding...after that he didn't want me to help him anymore. He would tell me that he could do it by himself.



Determination and having no fear were the two ingredients that it took for him to learn. After we started practicing he would ask several times a day if we could go ride Ellie's bike (I wanted to make sure he really could do it before I took his training wheels off). Then, once I let go for good, he would fall, pick himself back up, get on and try again. I know that there will be a lot of times in his life when it will be beneficial to have the determination that he does, the no fear thing...I don't know if I like that.

1 comment:

Oliver-Siegal-Axelrod-Gane-Christensan Families said...

ANdy Days I like your picture

This is a great idea

Heather